Wednesday, March 21, 2007

But will I win?

Shortly after I told my mom that I was nuts enough to do this triathlon she asked me a simple question:

Do you think you will win?

I chuckled at that and said, no I will not win. I "just" want to finish.

That was several weeks ago and the conversation still rings in my ears.

Just. Just finish. Just. just....just...

"Just" is a strange word. I try to avoid it and also notice when others use it. It seems to diminish some pretty big things.

No, I will not "win" the race by coming in first.

I "just" will:

  • Swim 500m and then
  • Bike 13 miles and then
  • Run (and probably walk some) 4 miles
  • After weighing over 400 pounds
  • And never being athletic in my life
  • And never been athletically competent before
  • And being a couch potato for most of my 43 years
  • And fitting in training between work and life
  • And being able to only eat partial meals due to an altered anatomy
  • And being anemic
  • And being hypoglycemic
My goal is to cross the finish line and (hopefully) not be last. Can I do that?

Hell, yes! I guess that "just" might make me a winner after all.

The point is if I never tried, if I never got out there, if I never signed up, if I never trained, I would not just lose...I would fail. And I do not take failure well at all...

So for the Tri-wannabees, runners, swimmers, bikers, hikers, hell!, water polo players, whatevers like me, Carol, TriBob, anyone else in Team in Training, go out, give it your all, and just be winners.

Love and Sweat,
Dale



Help donate to Dale's Race to Fight Blood Cancers!

No comments: